Google has launched YouTube Go in Kenya, an app that will give users access to YouTube regardless of their connectivity.
YouTube Go, a mobile app built from the ground up to unlock the power of YouTube, will enable users to view and share videos offline. The app has been designed to give users more control over data usage, while being locally and socially relevant.
Speaking during the launch, Google SSA Marketing Partnership Manager, Rosemary Momanyi observed that Google had seen first-hand the impact of bringing more people into the world of video. She noted that every aspect of YouTube Go has been designed with four main principles in mind:
It’s relatable, with fresh and relevant video recommendations tailored to user preferences;
The app is designed to be offline first and improve the experience of watching videos on a slower network;
It gives users more control over data usage, by providing choice and transparency into the amount of data spent on streaming or saving videos;
The app is also social, allowing users to share videos quickly and easily with friends nearby.
“At Google we believe that connectivity should not be a barrier to watching and sharing the videos you love on YouTube. Today, we’re excited to introduce YouTube Go to Kenyans, among 11 countries around the globe including: Ghana, Malaysia, the Philippines, Senegal, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Thailand, Vietnam, and Zimbabwe. We can’t wait to see what you can do with the power of YouTube in the palm of your hand.” said Mrs Momanyi.
Previously launched in India, Indonesia and Nigeria, YouTube Go comes with brand new features designed with user preferences, aspirations and needs in mind. The key features of YouTube Go include the following:
- Videos that matter to the user: The YouTube Go home screen features trending and popular videos in your area, so that users can find and discover videos that they and their community care about. The entire experience is available in different languages, with videos that are relevant to the user.
- Control over user experience: On YouTube Go, users are shown a video preview when then tap on a thumbnail, giving them a better sense of what the video is about before deciding if or not to watch it. One can then choose to download the video for viewing later or stream it then. YouTube Go also allows users to choose the amount of data they’d like to spend on that video.
- Sharing videos with friends nearby: With YouTube Go, one can share videos with friends and family nearby without using any data.
- Watch in high quality: In response to user feedback, YouTube Go gives more control of user experience with the added the ability to download, stream, and share videos in High Quality in addition to basic and standard quality resolutions.
- Discover fresh content you love: With YouTube Go, user can now get new personalized content with a simple pull of the home screen. Users are also notified when new videos are uploaded from the channels they love.
- Share more easily: With the design changes, from the beta version to the full version, YouTube Go makes it easier to access the share nearby feature right from the home page. Users can share multiple videos to be shared at once.