Safaricom is this week marking 20 years since it was officially launched on 23rd October 2000.
The anniversary celebrations will see Safaricom renew its commitment to its customers as it ushers in its third decade of growth. Through a brand campaign dubbed ‘Twende Tukiuke’, a callout to go beyond what is thought possible, the service provider will also showcase the power of mobile technology in transfoming lives.
“In the past two decades, Safaricom has grown from a telecommunication service provider to a technology company and our customers have been a key part of this journey. We are cognizant that technology and a data-driven economy can further support Kenya’s economic growth and these will be our launchpad for the next 20 years,” said Peter Ndegwa, CEO, Safaricom.
The next phase of Safaricom’s growth will be driven by a vision to become a purpose-led technology company by 2025. This will see the service provider continue its innovation tradition and simplify its products and services in line with its FOR YOU brand promise.
Safaricom will also continue to support the growth of SMEs and Micro-SMEs, which are the engines of economic growth in our country, by offering enhanced financial services and connectivity solutions.
“We plan to go beyond to new frontiers, be more present, more world-class, and enable new platforms to launch our SMEs into greater possibilities,” added Peter.
As part of the celebrations, all Safaricom customers will enjoy one free call of up to 20 minutes within the next 30 days. To ensure all customers benefit, each customer will receive a notification a day before to alert them of their free call. Customers who have been on the Safaricom network for 20 years as well as customers turning 20 this year will also receive a free 20GB data bundle valid for 7 days.
For the next 30 days, a promotion dubbed 20@20 will enable customers to purchase 20 minutes of call time and 20MBs at KES 20, while for the next 90 days, customers purchasing personalized Tunukiwa voice offers will receive free 20 minutes to call across all networks. Both offers are available on USSD *444# under the ‘Buy Minutes’ option.
Key Highlights: Going Beyond
- Leverage fibre and 4G network to provide internet to 1 million homes and businesses over the next 5 years.
- Achieve 100% 4G access across the country by end of December 2020.
- Launch of Data Usage Transparency, which provides customers with detailed usage statements.
- Commitment to support MSMEs with launch of Pochi la Biashara – an innovative product that will allow separation of business and personal wallets on M-PESA.
- Ease doing MPESA Business with aggregation of all MPESA services under the USSD *334#.
- Enable SMEs to run their businesses digitally through enhanced connectivity and financing propositions.
Through M-PESA Africa, evolve M-PESA into a lifestyle platform and universal payment network on the continent.
Write to us firstname.lastname@example.org