The Association of Insurance Brokers of Kenya (AIBK) unanimously elected Anthony Mwangi as the National Chairman during the Association’s 55th Annual General Meeting.
Mwangi, who is the Founder and Managing Director, Sunland Insurance Brokers Limited, served as the Association’s Vice Chairman for the last 4 years.
The appointment comes at a time when the country, and the industry, are grappling with the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic, and the insurance sector has been put in the spotlight for its role in cushioning businesses.
Speaking at the AGM, Mwangi re-iterated his commitment to advancing consumer rights, as well as working towards ensuring continued cohesion between sector players. He noted the challenges facing the insurance sector, and more specific legal and regulatory challenges affecting the insurance and insurance broking business in Kenya.
“A key focus area for the new board is working with the stakeholders to address issues such as the NHIF Bill, aspects of the BBI, and the Tax Laws (Amendment) Act 2020, that would have adverse effects on the insurance sector,” Mwangi noted.
He also highlighted the decline in insurance industry profits as reported in 2020 and the need for the sector players to innovate and work together to realize the vision of increased penetration.
“The new board will have a keen eye on and robustly engage with key stakeholders to ensure that not only are our interests fairly represented but that this industry that is ripe for investment and growth realizes its potential,” he continued.
Mwangi has over 27 years experience in the insurance sector, and previously held the position of Vice-Chairman, AIBK. He is an advocate of the High Court of Kenya, and an Associate of Computer Professionals of the UK. He holds a Diploma from the Kenya School of Law and a Master’s Degree in Strategic Planning from Copenhagen Business School in the Netherlands.
Other members elected to the AIBK Board include:
1. John Lagat – Vice Chairman, AIBK, and Director Sapon Insurance Brokers Ltd
2. Ahmed Abdi – Hon. Secretary, AIBK, and CEO, Amana Insurance Brokers Ltd
3. Pauline Wanjohi – Hon. Treasurer, AIBK, and Group MD, First Re-Insurance Brokers Ltd, and Pacific
Insurance Brokers Ltd
4. Harvinder S. Jutley – Board Member, AIBK, and Group MD, H. S. Jutley Insurance Brokers Ltd
5. Rosalyn Mugoh – Board Member, AIBK, and Managing Director, Zamara Risk & Insurance Brokers Ltd
6. Joseph Otieno – Board Member, AIBK, and CEO, Maj Insurance Brokers Ltd
7. Catherine Wahome – Board Member, AIBK, and CEO, Assurelink Insurance Brokers Ltd
8. Nelson Omolo – ex-officio Board member, and CEO, Fairsure Insurance Brokers Ltd
Do you have a story that you think would interest our readers? write to us email@example.com